Dietary factors and their associations with socioeconomic background in finnish girls and boys 6-8 years of age: the panic study.

Auteur(s) :
Eloranta AM., Lindi V., Schwab U.
Date :
Juin, 2011
Source(s) :
Eur J Clin Nutr.. # p
Adresse :
Department of Physiology, Institute of Biomedicine, University of Eastern Finland, Kuopio, Finland

Sommaire de l'article

Background/Objectives:To study nutrient intake, food consumption and meal pattern, and their associations with socioeconomic background in Finnish children.Subjects/Methods:The subjects were a population sample of 424 children (211 girls, 213 boys) 6-8 years of age. Nutrient intake and meal pattern were measured by food records, and food intake and socioeconomic characteristics were assessed by questionnaires.Results:Intakes of saturated fat, sucrose and salt were higher, and intakes of vitamin D, iron and fibre and unsaturated-to-saturated fat ratio lower than recommended. Less than 5% of children consumed vegetables, fruit and berries as recommended. Children with highest parental education more likely ate fish (odds ratio (OR) 2.20, 95% confidence interval (CI) 1.06-4.54), fibre-rich bread (OR 5.06, 95% CI 1.80-14.29) and main meals (OR 2.54, 95% CI 1.34-4.83), but less likely used soft margarine (OR 0.43, 95% CI 0.20-0.94) as recommended than children with lowest parental education. Children with highest household income more likely consumed skimmed milk (OR 2.43, 95% CI 1.21-4.88) and fish (OR 2.21, 95% CI 1.12-4.36) as recommended than children with lowest household income. Only 34% of girls and 45% of boys ate all main meals daily. Snacks provided as much as 42% of total energy intake.Conclusions:Children do not meet recommendations in all important nutrients. Children from lowest socioeconomic position least likely consumed fish, skimmed milk and fibre-rich bread and ate main meals, but most likely used soft margarine as recommended. Less than half of children ate all main meals daily

Source : Pubmed